Any amount of water in the garden is a hazard to children, and often hot tubs are not really seen as a hazard because they are there for fun and enjoyment.
Hot tubs do tend to be a magnet to children whether in use or not, so we have outlined some important safety considerations to ensure your hot tub experience is a memorable one for all the right reasons.
Other than the obvious dangers associated with water, the heat generated by a hot tub can have adverse effects on younger children if precautions are not taken to moderate their time in the hot tub and ensure they drink lots of fresh water to rehydrate during the session.
Here are our Top Tips for keeping your child safe in and around the hot tub
- Do not leave a child unattended around a hot tub.
- A child should be tall enough to have their head completely out of the water when standing.
- It is advised that children under 4 years don’t use the hot tub.
- Children under 10 years should limit their time to 5 minutes if the water is at maximum temperature. If you lower the temperature a younger child will be able to soak for longer.
- It is advised that younger children don’t totally immerse their body in the water, but instead sit on a higher seat or another’s lap to help prevent overheating.
- Fresh water should be available near the spa and should be drunk at regular intervals to prevent dehydration.
- If your child is taking medication, check with your GP before using the hot tub as sometimes medications can cause drowsiness or other side effects.
- Ensure your child keeps their fingers, toes and body parts away from the tub filters.
- Have mats around the edge of the hot tub to avoid slips on wet grass or paving.
- Provide a sturdy step so smaller children can safely enter and leave the tub.
- Do not allow your child to sit or play on the hot tub cover – it is not designed to support a child’s weight.
- Do not allow your child to jump into the hot tub.
For further information on hot tub safety, please download this BISHTA Factsheet – Using your Hot Tub Safely.
HGS Hot Tubs is a family run business in Berkshire offering genuine American hot tubs for sale and hire. For further information, please visit www.hgs-hottubs.co.uk